Thursday, August 16, 2007

Unknown Danger

This afternoon I was sitting inside peacefully reading a book when I hear our beagle, Gamba, howling. This is nothing new since we live in the country and there are many things that make him howl, but he usually stops howling after whatever it was that caught his attention is no longer in sight. We are hoping to put an invisible fence in so he can freely run but for now he stays tied up. Because he stays tied up, we have all sorts of critters that freely roam our 3 acres and drive poor Gamba nuts. Anyway, back to the story. So, after trying to ignore the puppy but realizing that he wasn’t going to stop howling anytime soon I decide to go see what he was making such a fuss about. This is what I came out to.




Gamba is at the very end of his rope trying to claw his way to this poor baby bird. Despite all his efforts Gamba still cannot reach the baby bird so he resolves to more howling.



The baby bird had no idea how much danger he could have been in. He wasn’t afraid of Gamba although he should have been. All the bird knew was that the thing making all the racket couldn't get to him. The baby bird thought he was safe. I don’t know if that is a good or bad thing.




As I was watching the whole thing take place I felt like the Lord said, “Tarah, look at that baby bird. He has no clue how much danger he was really in. How many times have you been that baby bird only to have me rescue you from danger you didn’t even know existed. I’ve protected you so many times because you are my child and I love you.” As I thought about this, I can’t help but think about the child growing in my womb. It makes me wonder how many times I will keep her from harm when she doesn’t even know harm exists. Then it makes me wonder about all the times that the Lord has used my parents, or friends, or siblings, or my husband to protect me from unknown harm. I am glad to be a child of God and have the protection of my Master’s hands weather seen or unseen.






2 comments:

Dr Phil said...

This is go cute. It looks like they are howling at each other.

So true that God is always protecting us from "life".

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I love love LOVE the picture of the baby bird yakking at Gamba! Hilarious!

You are so right about God's protection and I am incredibly thankful.

-Andrea