Saturday, December 20, 2008

Seeing Snow

Growing up in northern Illinois (the "s" is silent, please please don't pronounce it with an "s" at the end. I don't know why they spelled it that way but they did and there is nothing we can do about that. But we can pronounce it the correct way. Yes. That is something all of us can do! Lets try it , come on together now, ill-i-NOY! See that wasn't hard. Good job I'm proud of you now you will always know how it is said and never have to annoy anyone from Illinois again!) Okay moving on. Can you tell that's been a pet peeve of mine for years? Ha. Southerners are (usually) the worst at this. I married a southerner. Don't worry he now says Illinois that right way. Because he loves me! His family says it right now too. It probably has something to do with the fact that they've been living there for 4+ years. What ever the reason I'm glad they know how to say it - for my sake.

Seriously I really am moving on now. Growing up in Illinois I'm no stranger to snow. I am all to familiar with it's arctic white flakes as they float through the crisp night to make massive blankets that covers the rocky earth below it. At some point during my 25 years of living in the north the beautiful winter wonderland that so graciously cascades itself upon the frozen ground every year became not so wondrous to me. Honestly for awhile it became a cold, bitter, dreaded time year. All that changed this year thanks to my daughter.

Since Jericho was only 3 months old last winter I'm pretty sure she doesn't remember snow. I had forgotten that Jericho had never really seen snow till I saw her in it for the first time this year. We went to a restaurant for dinner other night. When we went in, it was not snowing. When we came out it was. They were big beautiful white fluffy flakes. At first I was sad that it was that time of year again. Then I saw Jericho's reaction. It changed the way I've been viewing all the snow this year (we've gotten a lot already this year.) Jericho was absolutely thrilled to see the snow. Her eyes light up with delight as she tried to catch every flake that came floating toward her. She giggled and smiled and life couldn't have been any better. It was refreshing. I needed to see the beautiful white blanket in a different light.


Sorry there are no pictures I know I have them I just can't find them at the moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! You are 25, that makes me OLD!
~Wulf