Friday, September 3, 2010

Bubble Gum on the Roof...



that is what Jericho wanted for her birthday. How does a 2 year old think of that? Well, it started back at the beginning of the year when Jericho started asking for gum.all.the.time! I told Seth that we had to tell her something I couldn't keep telling her no multiple times a day without a good reason, so we came up with one, your not old enough. How old do I have to be she wanted to know? Seth and I looked at each other and in unison said 3!

checking out the view with daddy before the chewing of the 1st piece of gum

Jericho would randomly ask for gum (I chew gum all that time) and every time I'd ask her if she was 3 yet and she'd smile at me and tell me not yet. I'd smile back and say when your 3! It quickly became something she was looking forward to.So, where does the roof come in? At the beginning of spring Seth had to go up on the roof to fix something and Jericho was on the ground watching him. She asked if she could join him and because he was having to work and go back and forth and on and off the roof he said no. She of course asked why but answered her own question before Seth could say anything, "because I'm not big enough" she said as I watched her shoulders slump and the air go out of her. She knew. She wanted to be bigger. Never the less she continued to watch her daddy from the ground all the while talking to him and asking him a million and one questions about the roof.

getting ready to chew

A few weeks later Seth and Jericho were sitting in the hammock talking. Seth asked her what she wanted to do when she got older and she confidently without missing a beat replied, "Chew gum on the roof!" Seth was a little bewildered giggled before he remembered the previous week and then I heard him belly laugh. About that time I came outside and he told me what she said so we told her that for her 3rd birthday she could chew gum on the roof!

showing off their gum

Even though we drove home from Chicago on her actual birthday we got home right before the sunset and Jericho got to chew gum on the roof! When I asked her what she thought she said, "It's YUMMY!" She's asked everyday multiply times a day since her birthday for a piece of gum. It's the first thing she asks for when she wakes up!

Jericho holding up the card my grandma got her for her 3rd birthday with 3 pieces of bubble gum taped to it!

Happy Birthday My Sweet Jericho! I hope you enjoyed your gum on the roof!

2 comments:

Rachel Lynn said...

Tarah....that is adorable. You guys are SUCH fun parents!

I hope you are all doing well :)

~Rachel

Anonymous said...

This is a great story!! I think i would do something crazy like this with my kids too. I like making memories. Nice idea.

Ruby