Sunday, December 16, 2007

Footprints

This morning I read this post and Boothe, a mommy who recently lost a daughter to trisomy-18, once again is able to put into words what I have felt (after Gideon died) but have never been able to describe. I like how at the end of the post she talks about getting her high school diploma and the difference between that and the night her daughter died. She is talking about grace and how she can't describe how grace was there the night her daughter died, how she didn't (and still doesn't) understand how she made it through that night but the reason she survived was because of God's grace. It's so true. That's one of the things I was trying to say at the end of this post. The grace of God is a wonderful thing.


At the very end of Boothe's post she said that her husband got a tattoo of her daughter's name, Copeland. Isn't that a pretty name it's different but I really like it. I just about fell over when I read this because that's exactly what Seth did, got a tattoo of Gideon's footprints and name, after her died. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, I'm not a huge tattoo fan, but I love it!

I have actually thought about getting one myself. I know some of you are going to be shocked and totally against this but I want your opinion either way. I've been thinking about getting Gideon's foot prints on my foot. Just his footprints, no words. I can't decide if I want one on each foot or if I want his toes facing me or the other way. What I originally thought was to put them both on one foot, I was thinking my left foot, and have one a little higher than the other like they were walking and have them walking off my foot, his toes facing my toes, as if they were walking ahead of me. But what do you think? If I do decide to get them. The other things I was thinking is having them the same way, like they are walking, just turn the feet as if they were walking into my heart. Gideon's foot prints would just represent him but all my babies Grace, Jericho, and any future ones the Lord blesses us with. They would represent all the little feet in my life that make a BIG difference.

When people asked me about my tattoo I would first tell them about the poem Footprints In the Sand and how God doesn't leave us when we are going through hard times but carries us through and then I would go on to explain that they were my son's actual footprints and that the Lord carried me through when I thought I wouldn't make it. I would use it as a testimony and an opportunity to share my faith.

I've have been thinking about this for 2 years now and have decided that I would really like to get this tattoo. One of the big things keeping this from happening is that the guy who did Seth's is not longer in the area and if I do it I want to make sure it is done right. I also need to pump myself up for the pain. I've heard that your foot is a pretty sensitive area when it comes to tattoos, and my feet are pretty bony.

So, what do you think? Do you have tattoos? Are you glad you got it? Have any other idea on what might look cool when I get Gideon's footprints?

7 comments:

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

I'm a girl who appreciates a good tattoo. I don't like gratuitous markings on people's skin, but when it tells a story or shows a significant happening in that person's life, I like that.

I say -oh definitely- to getting a tattoo with Gideon's footprints. I don't have an opinion on the specifics - I guess I feel it's too personal a thing for me to weigh in on.
Gideon left an indelible imprint on your life and heart and I think it would be an awesome way to let the world never forget your precious boy.

-Andrea

Heath said...

Hey Tarah, You know I would be all for it. On specifics? Two thoughts. Aesthetically it might look better to have them both on one foot, symbolically it would be cool to have one on each foot facing you like little boys do when they dance with their mommies.
Give Jerry Curl a kiss from Uncle Heath

Unknown said...

I actually have a tatoo...which shocked everyone who knows me. It's something I did while Quentin was deployed to Iraq this past year, and mine is also symbolic. It's a tribal butterfly, whcih signifies transformation, but also, "coming from a difficult place to a better place." That summed up the point in our marriage and everytime I see it I'm reminded of how far we've come. I have mine on my low back, so that I can cover it if necessary, since it is a controversial issue...but I know it's there. I say go for it! It would be a great tribute to the little life that impacted you in such a mighty way!

G. said...

I think you should do it. Before I got my nose pierced (although there's no symbolism behind why), I contemplated it since I was 18. :) I think the prints on one foot is a great idea although, I did like Heath's idea as well...very sweet. I know someone who has quite a few tattoos and she got them done at Rite Of Passage in Victor- that's where I got my nose pierced. Apparently they do great tattoos. As far as the pain- it probably won't be as painful as giving birth! :)

bethany said...

I think you should do it, too. I'm not a big one for tattoos, but I think that this would be very sweet and symbolic. I think that Heath is right that aesthetically it might be nicer to have them both on one foot.

If you were going to do words, you might want to use the line from that poem that says, "It was then that I carried you."

Unknown said...

I always said (back in high school) that I'd get a small star tattooed on my back for each of my children. My intention (then) was to have each one a different color. After Oceana was born I designed a tattoo, but never got it. Now I'm more sure than ever that I'll be getting tattooed in the near future - probably for my birthday in April. I'm designing one for Joshua now, though I'm not sure what I want to do yet - beyond a star. I say, tattoos for the sake of "I want a tattoo" are dumb - but tattoos like Seth's - to mark something important is really awesome. Someone said to me once - never tattoo a name - but I think that my children are my children always and forever. I especially want to memorialize Joshua - carry him with me so to speak. Do it and then I won't be the only one.

Sarah said...

What a great idea, I think you should get the tatoo as far as the specifics that is up to you depending on how you think you want him to be remembered. I have a friend who lost her baby girl, while she was pregnant with her she always said she wanted to get her ears peirced at teh pediatrician when she was old enough although after she lost her she got her own ears peirced a second time with her baby girl's birthstone. Once you get it done if your comfortable posting a pic I would love to see it. Good luck!